Dr. Michelle Murti
Communicable Diseases, Emergency Preparedness and Response
"My work at PHO is about serving the people of Ontario, helping them live healthier lives and reducing health inequities in the province. I aim to provide excellent scientific and technical advice to government, local public health units, health care providers and other community partners. Through collaboration with colleagues, my work at PHO provides knowledge, tools and support to understanding and controlling communicable diseases and improving emergency preparedness and response."
Areas of Expertise
- communicable diseases
- surveillance and epidemiology
- emergency preparedness
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Masters of Public Health, University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Biomedical Engineering), University of Toronto
- College of Family Physicians of Canada (CCFP)
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC)
PHO Research Interests
- outbreak management
- vulnerable populations and communicable diseases
- emergency response surveillance and assessment
- Murti M, Whelan M, Friedman L, Savic J, Johnstone J, Sider D, et al. Influenza outbreaks in Ontario hospitals, 2012-2016. Can Commun Dis Rep. 2018;44(9):201-5.
- Murti M, Fung CK, Chan K, Bigham M. Duration of influenza outbreaks in long-term care facilities after antiviral prophylaxis initiation: Fraser Health, British Columbia, 2014-2017. Am J Infect Control. 2018;46(9):1077-9.
- Butt ZA, Shrestha N, Wong S, Kuo M, Gesink D, Gilbert M, Wong J, Yu A, Alvarez M, Samji H, Buxton JA, Johnston JC, Cook VJ, Roth D, Consolacion T, Murti M, Hottes TS, Ogilvie G, Balshaw R, Tyndall MW, Krajden M, Janjua NZ, BC Hepatitis Testers Cohort. A syndemic approach to assess the effect of substance use and social disparities on the evolution of HIV/HCV infections in British Columbia. PloS One. 2017;12(8):e0183609
- Rempel S, Murti M, Buxton JA, Stephens W, Watterson M, Andonov A, et al. Outbreak of acute hepatitis B virus infection associated with exposure to acupuncture. Can Commun Dis Rrep. 2016;42:169-72.
- Zhang Q, Huhn KJ, Tan A, Douglas RE, Li HG, Murti M, Lee V. “Testing is Healthy” TimePlay campaign: evaluation of sexual health promotion gamification intervention targeting young adults. Can J Public Health. 2017;108(1):e85-90.